Travelers to Alaska seek a land as big and wild as their dreams where bears chase fish across salmon streams and whales breach alongside kayaks. Kodiak Island delivers that experience. Accessible only by air or ferry, the Kodiak archipelago remains relatively untouched by tourism and is a place proud of its historical commercial fishing industry and Native culture. Visitor’s fish for halibut, salmon and rockfish, view the magnificent Kodiak bear or hike mountains that rise to 4,000 feet. Bird watching in coastal wetlands is unlike anywhere else in the world. History buffs explore WWII bunkers and gun sites. Downtown modern motels and B&Bs provide comfort; unique shops and galleries surprise shoppers; dinner is the fresh catch of the day. Crowds? Not in Kodiak!
WHAT IS DISCOVER KODIAK?
A convention & visitors bureau is an organization charged with promoting a specific geographic area as a visitor destination, thereby improving the local economy through increased visitor spending, creation of jobs and expansion of the local tax base. We have one main focus, and that is the visitors industry. We have three prime responsibilities, to encourage groups to hold meetings, conventions and trade shows in the area it represents, to assist those groups with meeting preparations and provide services while their meeting is in progress, and to encourage visitors to visit and enjoy the historic, cultural and recreational opportunities the community offers.
OUR TARGET CONSUMER
Any Age Group, Male, Female, Single, Married, Family, Business.
We have a target audience of anyone with a passion for the outdoors. Kodiak offers first-class or casual accommodations, adventure travel, attractions, bird watching, cuisine & wine, culture & heritage, Eco Tours, family travel, hunting & fishing, mature travel, sports and recreation.
TOURISM IN KODIAK
· 39% of visitors are repeat
· Participation in activities: Shopping (56%), Cultural (37%), Wildlife Viewing (80%), Northern Lights (33%), Fishing/Hunting (66%), Hiking/Nature (63%), Night Entertainment (84%), Day Cruise (19%).
· Trip planning takes place an average of 4 months ahead of time
· 84% used the internet for booking
· Visitors came from: Western US (36%), Southern US (20%), Midwest (11%), International (25%).
· Demographics: Average age is 47.8 & Average Income is $108 K